Beets are high in phytonutrients named betalains that provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification effects. It is a powerful nutrient that protects against cancer, birth defects, and heart diseases.
- Anti-cancer agent – the phytonutrients in beets may keep cancer at bay. A research has shown that an extract of beetroot reduces multi-organ tumor formations. In one study, beetroot showed to cure pancreas, prostate, and breast cancer. This is due to the combination of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects in the vegetable.
- Fights inflammation – betaine protects the cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress. It works to fight inflammation and protects the internal organs, helping the prevention of many chronic diseases.
- Lowers blood pressure – according to one study, consuming 1 glass of beet juice lowers blood pressure by 4-5 points and this can be attributed to the nitrates in beets that are converted to nitric oxide in the body. This relaxes and dilates the blood vessels, improving the blood flow and lowering the blood pressure.
- Reduce risks of birth defects – the fiber, potassium, manganese, and vitamin C are essential for muscle and nerve function, supporting health bones, kidneys, pancreas, and liver. There is folate, vitamin B in beets which reduces the risk of birth defects.
- Fight constipation – the fiber in beets support healthy bowel movement, thus you should add it into your diet to keep waste move from the intestines in a healthy way. According to studies, betacyanin, a phytochemical compound can fight colon cancer.
- Liver detoxifier – the nutrients in beets support the process of detoxification as it is high in antioxidants that remove waste and toxins, while the immune system is being strengthened. Betine helps in the process of toxins elimination, pectin clears toxins that have been removed from the liver so that they don’t find their way back in the body, and betalains encourage detoxification due to the high-inflammatory properties.
Try this recipe for a delicious beets juice.